Random Ramblings from the Watsons

Thursday 10 January 2013

What's mine, is yours.

I know that I mention grief in it's various forms, along with the great love, and joy that comes with raising a child with special needs.

Sometimes I eavesdrop, on the special moments between my children.  Those moments when they are unguarded, when they don't know there is an adult listening..when they say what they really mean.

I think I have said before that watching the relationship between Georgia, and her older sisters, aged 9, 8 and 6, is probably one of the most special things that I have ever been gifted enough to witness.  But, the other day, the biggest joy, and along with it, quite a sucker punch of grief, came from hearing a conversation that I was not meant to be privvy to.

I had just woken up, and was on the way to the kitchen for coffee.  Georgia's bedroom is downstairs next to ours, and the other three girls are upstairs.  As I left my bedroom, I heard whispers coming from Georgia's room, which I recognised as coming from my 6yo daughter, Tana.

It went something like this:  (one sided, as Georgia doesn't talk, you see)

"Georgia, you know you won't have babies?  I mean, you might, but if you do, I will have to help you keep care of them, or mum will, or maybe Indi or Kota, as you won't be able to keep care of  babies.  I don't want you to be sad, as I will get married and have babies, and I promise that you can help me keep care of my babies.  And I will keep care of you.  You'll be ok Georgia.  Even if mum and dad get dead, we'll keep their money, and we'll use it to keep care of you.  You'll be ok, Bobo (her nickname)".

I looked tearfully around the door frame, and surveyed the scene.  Tana had pulled Georgie into her lap, and Georgia was leaning back into her, with a beautiful face lit with all the trust of one that knows she is loved.

I would never, in all honesty, wish for Georgia to have a child of her own, and that makes me sad.  I'm so happy to know that my other girls will share their babies, with all the willingness that they have shared every part of their life with her so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment